Steak Sandwich with Chimichurri sauce
This recipe is so easy to scale and the only actual cooking you need to do is cook the steak. Unless you want to make your own buns, which I highly recommend.
Tender steak with Chimichurri sauce and spring onion mayo inside a brioche bun
- 2 brioche burger buns
- 1 sirloin steak (250g)
For the Chimichurri Sauce
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 slices red hot chilli pepper
- 1 tsp fresh oregano
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp fresh mint
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley
- 3 g rock salt
- zest from half a lemon
- juice from half a lemon
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
For the Spring Onion Mayonnaise
- 2 spring onions
- 5 tbsp mayonnaise
- You can make your own buns, but you can also buy them from the supermarket.
- I made them myself using Joshua's recipe. Well worth it!
- In a pestle and mortar, add the rock salt and peeled garlic clove.
- Keep crushing the garlic up until it becomes a paste.
- Finely chop all the fresh herbs and add them in.
- Zest the lemon and squeeze out the lemon juice.
- Add the olive oil and mix.
Spring Onion Mayonnaise
- Bring a pot with 1 litre of water to boil.
- Blanch the spring onions for 30 seconds.
- Take out and immediately immerse them into an ice bath. You can use a glass of water with 3-4 ice cubes.
- Dry the onions with a kitchen towel.
- Chop them (we are only using the green part for this recipe) and put into a blender with your mayonnaise base.
- Blend up until the sping onions are finely chopped.
Cooking the steak
- Make sure your steak has stayed in room temperature for at least half and hour before you start cooking it.
- Using a paper towel, pat it dry on both sides.
- Season the steak generously with salt and freshly ground pepper. Bear in mind that 30% of the seasoning ends up in the pan.
- Cook in a lightly oiled cast iron pan for about 2.5 minutes on each side over high heat. This is for a 250g steak cooked medium.
- Rest for 5 mins before you slice it.
Assembling the sandwich
- Once your steak is resting, cut your brioche buns in half and toast them over medium heat in the same pan you used to cook the steak.
- Once the buns are nicely toasted, you can take them out and add the spring onion mayonnaise.
- Add the mayonnaise to the bottom bun.
- Slice the steak, transfer to the bun and cover it with Chimichurri sauce.